Beware of the Wild Weed - Jimson Weed or Datura stramonium

There are just some things we don't know. I got this seed from my mother in law, who got it from someone else. In a matter of time, the weed spread everywhere, and became not a beautiful plant anymore, but annoying. The Jimson weed (Datura stramonium) is often called as devil's apple or devil's weed. Scary kind of, but in reality it is kind of very attractive plant. I still remember how one lady tried to break off a branch from my garden - I guess now I know why it is called sometimes devil's apple. But yet I to find out that it is also very poisonous plant. The seeds of the jimson weed can produce a feelings of mild euphoria, cause hallucinations, delusions, agitation, disorientation and paranoia. Other symptoms are a rapid and irregular heart rate, blurred vision, high blood pressure, dry mucous membranes, flushed skin and dilated pupils. Toxicity rate is high, the seeds of this plant are extremely toxic. Deaths in humans and animals have been reported. Seeds are the most dangerous parts of the plant, but other parts are too. What kind of plant was I growing in my garden? I just didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.